Skip to main content

Christmas Gifts

I made this shaped, nostalgic-looking Christmas card using Spellbinders dies and hot foil plate. I love Christmas and make cards all year long, starting the next year's cards before the end of the year. Some people think that's crazy, but I don't like to feel rushed in November to get my Christmas cards finished!

I started by die cutting out the frame for the presents using Spellbinders' Gift Border & Sentiments and Simon Says Stamp Matte Gold Cardstock.
I then used the two outline dies to cut out whole presents. I wanted to do a faux inlay technique, so I embossed the frame image on top so I could color the images.
I used Copic Markers R29 and R39 to color in the presents. I used the lighter color to make "highlights" on the gifts. I kept laying the gold frame over it to make sure it looked good.
Here's the result after gluing the two pieces together. I cut out the bows from the same gold cardstock. Since the frame covers a lot of the other piece, I didn't have to be super careful about coloring. I love the results. It looks like I spent a lot more time inlaying pieces into the frame.
For my background, I chose Spellbinders' Adorning The Tree 3-D embossing folder and Gina K Fresh Asparagus cardstock. To tie in the gold and add some interest, I lightly ran Honey Bee's Metallic Gold ink pad over the embossed cardstock. 
After diecutting all floral pieces from Layered Poinsettia Tree die set from Spellbinders, I placed the die cuts onto the insert to Altenew's Stamp Wheel. This held them in place so I could ink up the white cardstock. This product is made from the same type of photopolymer as stamps. It has some stick and is really easy to clean.
All pieces colored and adhered together. I used Rustic Wilderness, Fossilized Amber, Antique Linen, Lumberjack Plaid, and Mowed Lawn Distress inks. I also used Honey Bee's Metallic Gold ink for the small flowers. 
Because this is a shaped card, I took the embossed panel and die cut the bottom edge with the bottom edge die from Gift Border & Sentiments. 
I hot foiled Merry Christmas using the plate from Spellbinders' Glimmering Christmas Flora set. I foiled onto white Hammermill Cardstock then inked lightly with Antique Linen to match the poinsettias. I used the coordinating die to cut it out. I love how the dies cut so close to the sentiment. 
I cut the card base the same as the embossed panel.
Finished card. Even though it's shaped, it stands up nicely. I adhered embossed panel onto card base with Gina K Connect Glue. I used foam squares to pop up the row of gifts. This adds dimension and allows room for you to place items behind it. I arranged the floral pieces behind the tops of the gifts, adhered them with glue, then trimmed off the overhang. I also popped up the sentiment.
Inside of the card, I put a piece of the same gold cardstock as well as a white panel to write a message. The gold peeks out beneath the row of presents when the card is closed. I finished things off with a sprig. I hope you like this card!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delicate Floral Hummingbirds

I made today's card for my husband. Our anniversary is in two weeks. He likes bright colors, so I hope he likes it! I made this with Spellbinders Delicate Floral Hummingbirds die. I love Spellbinders! Their dies, stamps, and hot foil plates are all such great quality.  This die set has a die and outline die. If you only use the main die, it will cut out the middle without changing the size of your cardstock. Since this is so large, I wanted to cut out the entire image since I didn't want anything larger than 5"x7". Protip: if you want a smaller card front, you can always trim it down. I cut the image from Lawn Fawn Noble Fir cardstock. Then, I took a small blending brush and inked shadows with Rustic Wilderness Distress Ink. To make the diecut appear more realistic, I inked at the base of each leaf and in the curves of the vines.  After die cutting all of the layering pieces out of Neenah Classic Crest Cover Solar White 80lb